Prevention of asthma in children today is extremely important, as the number of patients with symptoms of this serious illness continues to grow. From 4 to 10% of the total population are affected by the disease, and among children – more than 10% have a problem of hyperactivity of the bronchi, which respond with spasm to irritants.
Various preventive measures are aimed at eliminating the factors provoking the appearance of bronchial asthma. This is the so-called primary prevention. Ways to prevent the further development of complications and exacerbations in cases where bronchial asthma is already diagnosed is secondary prevention. Sometimes experts identify tertiary as well – means of preventing death in severe and complicated course of the disease.
Primary prevention of asthma in children
Negative changes in the ecology of the environment, frequent acute respiratory viral infections significantly increase the risk of allergies and obstructions, weaken the protective capabilities of children’s organisms. For the prevention of bronchial asthma in children, doctors recommend:
- Be sure to use breastfeeding for babies up to 1 year old. This will strengthen the baby’s body.
- Enter complementary foods only after consulting a doctor. Exclude allergenic foods (nuts, chocolate, citrus fruits) from the menu.
- Minimize the number of dust collectors in the house – carpets, heavy curtains, etc.
- Use hypoallergenic household products.
- Wet the apartment and ventilate the rooms more often.
- Eliminate or minimize contact with pets.
- Parents who care about the health of the child should quit smoking and lead a healthy lifestyle. Tobacco smoke increases the risk of obstruction.
- The main thing is the atmosphere of love and mutual understanding in the family. It will create a feeling of calm and reliability in the baby.
Especially these tips are important for families whose child has a genetic predisposition to bronchial asthma, if he already had various allergic diseases or ailments associated with bronchi.
Secondary prevention of bronchial asthma
If it was not possible to avoid some complications, and the first signs of asthma appeared (cough, shortness of breath, obstructive phenomena, allergic reactions), you need to take the above requirements more strictly and create an environment in which there will be no place for allergens. With the help of analyzes and observations, determine exactly what causes the baby to react. Then completely eliminate contact with the allergen.
An allergist will choose the right medication and advise on ways to strengthen the child’s immune system. Such prevention of asthma attacks will allow you to control the condition of the bronchial mucosa and reduce their activity. Reduce the physical load of the patient, but do not exclude it, walk more in the fresh air. Perform breathing exercises, the exercises of which are designed for patients with bronchial asthma.