Treatment of bronchial asthma involves a complex effect. Various methods are used to improve the patient’s condition. Symptoms of pathology are usually eliminated with drugs. But since many of them have side effects, doctors are trying to focus on non-drug treatment of bronchial asthma.
There are many ways to relieve a patient’s condition without medication. A well-designed therapy regimen can reduce the frequency of exacerbations and reduce the intensity of manifestations. It is worth considering the main features of non-drug therapy for AD.
Methods for the treatment of bronchial asthma
For the treatment of asthma, drugs are usually used that are aimed at relieving the symptoms of the disease. The selection of funds is carried out individually by a specialist, depending on the clinical picture.
In addition to medications, it is recommended to adhere to a hypoallergenic diet and follow the rules of a healthy lifestyle. In addition, it is very important to limit or completely exclude the effect on the patient of factors that provoke exacerbation.
To consolidate the results, non-drug methods of treating bronchial asthma are also used. They are less effective than medication, therefore they are used as an additional effect. But in some cases, they are enough to control the disease.
Basic principles of non-drug asthma treatment
In bronchial asthma, non-drug treatment is used as an adjunct, it complements drug therapy. Thanks to the simultaneous use of different methods of treatment, it is possible to increase its effectiveness, improve the patient’s well-being and reduce the manifestations of pathology.
With the systematic use of non-pharmacological procedures recommended by a doctor, exacerbations of the disease occur much less often. This is the main goal of such treatment.
Non-drug therapy is built according to certain principles, on the observance of which its effectiveness depends. The main ones are the following:
- The complexity of the impact. It is difficult to achieve improvement without the use of drugs, therefore the selected procedures and techniques must be combined with the administration of drugs.
- Inadmissibility of self-medication. The choice of therapy methods is carried out individually, according to the characteristics of the patient’s body and the course of the disease. Therefore, you should not use non-drug therapy yourself, so as not to provoke deterioration.
- Follow the instructions. Any treatment technique has its own characteristics and contraindications, as well as rules that must be followed. If they are violated, complications can develop. Therefore, an unauthorized change in the schedule, frequency of procedures or dosages of the agents used is unacceptable.
If the treatment is structured in accordance with these principles, the fight against exacerbations of asthma is easier. In this regard, the doctor must provide the patient with clear recommendations, and the patient must follow them.
Non-drug treatments for asthma
Treatment of bronchial asthma with non-drug methods implies a set of measures developed taking into account the situation. This may include doing exercise therapy, taking herbal remedies, and following a diet.
In addition, physiotherapy can be used to alleviate symptoms.
The choice of methods depends on the severity of the disease and the individual characteristics of the organism.
Since different methods of exposure belong to drug therapy, there is a conditional classification that allows them to be divided into groups. The main ones are:
- traditional methods of treatment;
- unconventional methods of exposure.
This division is arbitrary, since many therapeutic techniques can simultaneously belong to different groups. Nevertheless, the classification allows us to consider the main types of non-drug treatment and highlight the features of each of them.
Physiotherapy is a group of procedures aimed at alleviating the patient’s condition. Their use can reduce the frequency of asthmatic attacks.
In this group of non-drug treatment methods prescribed for asthmatics, one can name:
- Electrophoresis. In asthma, the action is directed to the area between the shoulder blades. The procedure helps to restore the functionality of the bronchi, as well as to improve the patency in them.
- Phonophoresis . The purpose of the technique is to improve the functioning of the bronchi. The method consists in ultrasonic action, which is directed to the organs located in the projection of the 5-7th pairs of ribs.
- Magnetotherapy. It helps to increase the functionality of the lungs and increase the lumen in the bronchi, which can reduce the frequency of attacks.
- Halotherapy . The technique involves the use of air saturated with salt particles for treatment. It has a calming effect, fights inflammation, and kills bacteria. This procedure is very effective for any respiratory pathology.
During the period of remission, prophylactic techniques are widely used. These include water therapy , electroanalgesia, and electrosleep.
The known methods of treating bronchial asthma include the implementation of various breathing exercises. They help restore the functionality of the bronchi and exercise the lungs.
The most popular type of breathing exercises is the Buteyko method. In some cases, with its help, it is even possible to overcome asthmatic attacks.
This is very important for people who do not want to abuse drugs. The principle of the technique lies in shallow nasal breathing, which must be combined with relaxation.
For preventive purposes, simpler exercises are used. These include:
- Hypoventilation breathing. Exercise consists in shallow and calm breathing, in which the patient feels a slight lack of air. Otherwise it is called the simplified Buteyko method.
- Abdominal breathing. When performing the exercise, it is necessary to use the muscles of the abdominal wall, relaxing them while inhaling and tensing them while exhaling.
- Additional exhalations. In this case, the inhalation is carried out in the usual way, then a calm exhalation is performed, followed by a holding of the breath for a few seconds and another active exhalation.
In addition to these, there are other breathing exercises. If you wish, you can master the yoga technique, which also has a beneficial effect. Before starting practice, you need to consult with a specialist and find out how to properly perform gymnastics.
Herbal medicine for bronchial asthma
BA treatment is carried out using various plants that have medicinal properties. From them, infusions and decoctions are prepared, which can be used internally or for inhalation solutions.
Rubbing is also done with these funds. Medicinal plants make coughing easier and reduce inflammation. They help to strengthen the immune system, which is very important for asthmatics.
The most commonly used plants are:
- wild rosemary;
- mother and stepmother;
- St. John’s wort;
- violet root;
- oregano, etc.
Propolis or honey is often added to such decoctions, which enhances their beneficial properties.
It is undesirable to use herbal medicine without a doctor’s prescription, since asthma is often combined with allergies, and medicinal plants can also be among the allergens. You also need to make sure that the chosen remedy really helps to fight the manifestations of the disease.
The body of asthmatics is highly sensitive to climatic conditions. Living in an unfavorable climate leads to an increase in exacerbations of the disease. Therefore, doctors recommend that such patients periodically undergo treatment at resorts with suitable conditions.
Patients with asthma are suitable for a moderately humid climate of the subtropics (with the exception of severe forms of pathology – such patients are contraindicated in moderate humidity). It is also useful for them to be in high-mountainous regions, where humidity and atmospheric pressure are reduced, and the air is more pure.
But, going to such resorts, it is necessary to take into account the flowering season of plants so as not to worsen your health due to pollen allergy.
Psychotherapy and relaxation
Sometimes bronchial asthma develops due to strong emotional stress, and asthma attacks in patients occur in stressful situations. In this case, consultation with a psychotherapist or psychologist is recommended. This helps to relax and reduce the frequency of flare-ups.
Also, work with a psychologist allows the patient to develop the correct attitude to his disease. Asthmatics are prone to increased anxiety, which can worsen their condition.
With the help of psychotherapy, they learn to calm down, act effectively at the time of an attack, avoid situations that are hazardous to health, and interact with others.
In the course of the treatment of bronchial asthma by non-drug methods, unconventional methods of exposure are used. They involve the use of various techniques, which include:
- Massage. It can be done in several ways. A common type of massage relieves muscle tension, which makes breathing easier. With acupressure, an effect is exerted on the active points that are responsible for the functioning of organs. Such treatment should only be carried out by a professional, since a lack of experience can affect the patient’s well-being.
- Acupuncture. This method of exposure is similar to the previous one. Acupuncture stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, normalizes the functionality of the bronchi. It also helps to reduce mucus production. A specialist performing such work must have a high level of professionalism.
- Hirudotherapy. This method of treatment is associated with the use of medicinal leeches. When they bite, enzymes that stimulate immunity and have an anti-inflammatory effect enter the patient’s body.
Less popular methods of unconventional therapy are moxibustion (impact on active points of the body using special cigars with aromatic fillers) and vacuum therapy, which can strengthen the immune system and activate metabolic processes.
The use of these procedures should be carried out only with the permission of the attending physician and a master with a sufficient level of knowledge. Otherwise, such treatment can be harmful.
Diet for bronchial asthma
Diet is one of the components of the treatment of a wide variety of pathologies. Thanks to properly organized nutrition, you can strengthen the body, and also reduce the likelihood of complications. Therefore, in AD, it is necessary to figure out how to organize the diet.
Medical fasting is sometimes used as a non-drug treatment for bronchial asthma. But this technique has many contraindications. And even in their absence, the use requires medical supervision.
Typically, a diet for asthma involves excluding foods that can provoke aggravation from the diet. This disease tends to be exacerbated by an allergic reaction to certain proteins that enter the body with food. Therefore, the principle of diet therapy is to exclude foods containing these types of proteins.
If AD is of allergic origin, special tests should be carried out to find out if there is any sensitivity to food. If it is found, it is necessary to exclude allergens from the diet.
On the basis of this, lists of permitted and prohibited products are drawn up. This is done on an individual basis.
Most often, it is recommended to reduce or stop using the following foods:
- grapes, etc.
Smoked foods, fatty and fried foods are also unsuitable for a diet. It is best to steam, boil or bake food. In some cases, there is an allergy to seafood and fish.
Elimination of factors causing exacerbation of bronchial asthma
This is one of the most important principles of non-drug AD treatment. Since it is the traumatic factors that provoke the development of asthma attacks, it is necessary to minimize or completely exclude the patient’s contacts with them. Therefore, it is very important to find out what is the root cause of the pathology.
Asthmatics should avoid stressful situations, exposure to allergens, and extreme high or low temperatures. They should not work in conditions harmful to the respiratory system, contact with chemicals, take medications without the knowledge of a doctor.